Friday, August 19, 2016

Fun Story About Matthew 7:21-23

As my father and I were walking across the Rollins College Campus in Winter Park one Saturday afternoon not too long ago, we started talking about religion. I have given up deliberately bringing up religion around my parents, because I have determined that the best witness I can bear is in living a sober and collected Catholic life in all godliness and contentment, while answering any questions they may have in the meantime.

I do not recall how the topic came up then. Perhaps it was a sermon my father had heard recently. But whatever the impetus, my father spoke thus:

“Why do you Catholics believe that God cares about works?"

After all, Jesus says in the Sermon on the Mount, ‘On that day, many will say to me, “Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your Name, and cast out demons in Your Name, and do many mighty works in Your Name?" And then I will say to them, “I never knew you."'"

So obviously, God doesn't care about works. And in fact, they are shown to be a hindrance if done in order to fulfill the Law, because no one can earn salvation."

But here's where it got really interesting. Because, you see, by a happy chance, I had memorized that very section, and in addition the context.

“Dad, I hate to tell you this, but the context of the verse shows that you, or whoever you're quoting, have the meaning completely backward. The text you are quoting comes from Matthew 7:21-23, which reads:

‘Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but the one who does the Will of my Father Who is in Heaven. On that day, many will say to me, “Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your Name, and cast out demons in Your Name, and do many mighty works in Your Name?" And then I will say to them, “I never knew you. Depart from me you workers of lawlessness."'

So instead of invalidating the need to do works, the verse is making clear the need to always be doers or workers of God's Will, and not to do that which is against the law. God is not only interested in your positives sheet, but also your negatives. Ultimately only those who do God's will, not those who merely believe Jesus is Lord, or even their personal Savior, will go to Heaven. That's the simple Gospel truth.

And few people appear to achieve this state during their lives, which is why the Church has introduced the idea of some sort of Purgatory necessary for people to pass through before they attain Heavenly beatitude.

I don't remember how my father and I finished the conversation, but I do know that it's always a good idea to read the context when a Protestant quotes one of his memorized proof texts. It will often defeat the logic of what he is attempting to prove.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment.