Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Genesis 13

eading this chapter, I am reminded of the legendary (but true) meeting of St. Francis and St. Dominic, the founders of the two most influential orders in medieval history. They met in order to see if they could join forces and combine their orders. But they determined it was better that they remain separate, since their methods and spiritualities were so different.

So, sometimes, it is necessary to part ways even with one's kindred in order to prosper and receive God's call. It is interesting that only after Abram separates from Lot does God give him the promise that his descendants would be numerous as the grains of dust.

Looking at it from Lot's perspective, however, I have to ask myself, shouldn't I have said to Abram: "No, brother. Take my possessions, and let me be as a slave to you, but do not depart from me. For the Lord is with you." Sometimes if you just go with the flow, you're going to miss out and even fall. Sometimes, you have to be insistent. The eventual fate of Lot and his family shows he probably would have been better off had he abandoned whatever worldly possessions he needed to to stick with Abram.



Arguably Personhood is Impossible without some kind of Community. I appreciate your valuable comment(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment.