Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Genesis 4 Recap

uck would have it that I seem to have deleted my entry on Genesis 4. So, for my own sake I want to go over what I remember from the entry 2 days ago.

We focused on Lamech, the grandson of the murderer Cain, who went doubly wrong, first by being the first recorded polygamist, and second by following in his grandfather's footsteps and committing the second recorded homicide in scripture.

I also noted that in both cases Lamech appears to deceive himself. In the first case of bigamy, he paints his lust for two women with the title "marriage" although such a marriage is a sham, since real marriage was intended from the beginning to be between one man and one woman. Secondly, he calls his murder a kind of "vengeance" and claims that Cain took "vengeance" on Abel, when in fact, he murdered him out of jealousy. Thus evil often tries to create false justifications for itself.

We see in Lamech a man ruled by his passions: lust and wrath, and blinded to his sin and the sin of his grandfather.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment.