Monday, July 25, 2016

Things to Remember for My Next Caymanian Homecoming

I love Cayman Brac. Many generations of my mother's family lived and worked here in the harsh tropical sun, amidst the sharp rocks and poor soil. I believe I would like to retire here, despite the sparse Catholic presence. So since I must leave it tomorrow morning and begin the long although ridiculously non-arduous journey back to my home in Orlando, I offer some advice to my future self the next time I make it down:

1. Remember to bring along your computer and its charger everywhere.
2. Don't forget to visit the Iron Shore, and the Bluff with its rock climbing and caves.
3. This time, plan more than three hours (maybe more like six) to walk there and explore the caves.
4. Pack good shoes to do this with (like I didn't).
5. If you interact with cows on uncle's farm, do not wear red (like I did).
6. Beware of stepping on sea urchins, known here as "sea eggs" and pack some swim shoes (like I did and didn't, respectively).
7. Expect to get less studying done than you hope.
8. When replacing air-conditioner units for the house (a NECESSITY here, if yours prove dysfunctional as TWO of mine did), do NOT cut the living day-lights out of your fingers on the grating. (No further comment.)
9. Do not expect to understand every word the natives say, even after all your practice, especially those from the West End. (I love you all, island friends and relatives.)
10. Make sure to sample the local vegetable delights , including gineps, ackies, plums, breadfruit, cassava, more mango species than you can shake a stick at, and naseberries, each at least once on your trip, preferably many times.
11. Climb the dangerous rickety ladder system up the Bluff and enjoy that view Grandfather enjoyed every day on his way to tend the cows while he thrived; check footholds thrice before applying full weight.
12. Don't underestimate your cousin's chess-playing abilities, or play her while doing something else: You might not be able to pull the game out of the fire next time.
13. Try not to laugh out loud when my American immigrant family switch into their full Bracker accents.
14. Have a deep conversation with a loved one as you watch the sun set into the Caribbean Sea.
15. Beware of escaping embers from beachside bonfires. (Like I didn't.)
16. Never leave any rigging loose on the boat.
17. Aloe vera is a useful plant for chafing. (No further comment.)
18. Mass is at 11 o'clock in the morning at Stella Maris on the West End up the Bluff. Don't be late!
19. Stop by Grandfather's Grave by the Sea to say a Rosary for his repose.
20. Appreciate the blessedness of having such a loving and close family away from home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment.